View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 37  Next
 House Party Beta 0.4.0.0 (Updated 2/17/17) 
Rank 15
Rank 15

mistacorn wrote:
T0mcat wrote:
Dancing Girl Problem:
She's dancing nicely, after getting the white wine, but somehow there's no other unwatched alcohol to be found!?! So she won't leave the room and no nudes can be taken...

!!! Save option desperately needed !!!

The pathfinding system is getting a major overhaul in the new version. There's another unattended bottle of wine. Search Brittney's room really well.

Wasn't the bottle of white wine I was missing, but the other one (the red wine a certain someone carries around *winkwinknudgenudge* hadn't read that in the hints here)

Nonetheless: dancing girl drank the second bottle, then passed out on the floor.. so only Katherine and my Avatar left in the living room - still no option for nude photos...

Edit: Okay.. got it working on the next attempt..

Oh, and you need to stop Brittney from continuing to follow the avatar after he led her into the bathroom. She gives that short lesbo action shtick, but then just follows the avatar around again

Second Edit:

There are imho just way too many options to get stuck in the story.
- if you get Patrick beaten up by Frank in the bedroom after Madison asking you to take care of him, she will not progress to the part with the memory box it seems
- if you manage to get Madison onto the bed (by getting too close to her, so she moves onto the bed herself) you can no longer communicate with her
- if you get Frank to punch out Patrick too early, it's game over because two story lines can't be completed (missing red wine and no option to get Madison out of her pants)
- 95% of the communication seems to lead to some game over situation... without save option, that is extremely discouraging. Yes, there should be some talk options that piss off the counterpart so he/she'll never even talks to you again.. but those should only be the extremely dumb lines like "my name's buck, you wanna fuck?" or something "intelligent" like that ;)

So, in total, I do enjoy the looks of the game.
Mechanics should be worked upon - like really implementing the option to change controls... I never move by WASD in games but always use the arrow keys for example... or jump button not working etc.
Story only works in ONE extremely linear way. That's not really enjoyable and people will cry for walkthroughs and then just follow the walkthrough... there should be possibilities to make up for blotching something. Like finding the bottle of red wine on Patrick's unconcious body, if he got beaten up too early.

Also desperately needed: an option to close all those lockers/the fridge/cabinets you can open. Might be only me, but I think it looks kinda messy with all those door being open. And especially in the case of the fridge it's not environmentally correct to leave the door open :lol:

Edit three:
- not sure if it's a bug or just not yet implemented content... after knocking out Patrick Frank has a conversation option going kinda "there's another drunk, follow me and I show you where" which seems to lead to no reaction whatsoever..
- so.. no booze for the wicked? Frank is just an asshole and I can't even bust his nuts to get me some booze?

Another small thing: if you have read all the stuff the others say about 1000 times, one might use the enter key to speed up text display... too bad that this sometimes leads to using a chat option, that leads to a dead end / game ending bust... maybe using the mouse to take a chat option might be more secure?

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:00 pm
Rank 14
Rank 14

T0mcat wrote:
Oh, and you need to stop Brittney from continuing to follow the avatar after he led her into the bathroom. She gives that short lesbo action shtick, but then just follows the avatar around again

Second Edit:

There are imho just way too many options to get stuck in the story.
- if you get Patrick beaten up by Frank in the bedroom after Madison asking you to take care of him, she will not progress to the part with the memory box it seems
- if you manage to get Madison onto the bed (by getting too close to her, so she moves onto the bed herself) you can no longer communicate with her
- if you get Frank to punch out Patrick too early, it's game over because two story lines can't be completed (missing red wine and no option to get Madison out of her pants)
- 95% of the communication seems to lead to some game over situation... without save option, that is extremely discouraging. Yes, there should be some talk options that piss off the counterpart so he/she'll never even talks to you again.. but those should only be the extremely dumb lines like "my name's buck, you wanna fuck?" or something "intelligent" like that ;)

So, in total, I do enjoy the looks of the game.
Mechanics should be worked upon - like really implementing the option to change controls... I never move by WASD in games but always use the arrow keys for example... or jump button not working etc.
Story only works in ONE extremely linear way. That's not really enjoyable and people will cry for walkthroughs and then just follow the walkthrough... there should be possibilities to make up for blotching something. Like finding the bottle of red wine on Patrick's unconcious body, if he got beaten up too early.

Also desperately needed: an option to close all those lockers/the fridge/cabinets you can open. Might be only me, but I think it looks kinda messy with all those door being open. And especially in the case of the fridge it's not environmentally correct to leave the door open :lol:

Edit three:
- not sure if it's a bug or just not yet implemented content... after knocking out Patrick Frank has a conversation option going kinda "there's another drunk, follow me and I show you where" which seems to lead to no reaction whatsoever..
- so.. no booze for the wicked? Frank is just an asshole and I can't even bust his nuts to get me some booze?

Another small thing: if you have read all the stuff the others say about 1000 times, one might use the enter key to speed up text display... too bad that this sometimes leads to using a chat option, that leads to a dead end / game ending bust... maybe using the mouse to take a chat option might be more secure?

Thanks for all the feedback!

Keep in mind that this is an early alpha of the game. I've been way more focused on game mechanics and getting the root system in place and solid than I have on story-lines. I've been trying to add some story-line in parallel to give you guys something to do while testing, but by no means am I married to the stories that are in place (in fact, they've changed from version to version) nor do I plan to keep the linear nature in tact. I do want to open it up more and give the player chances to redeem himself, I just haven't gotten there yet.

A save option is high on the priority list and a very wanted feature from all of the feedback I've been getting. So that will be something that will be coming sooner than later.

What's funny is that I removed the option to close the cabinets and such because people were complaining about trying to fish stuff out of them and the option to close them popping up if you walk away and walk back toward them, and you have to shoo away the option to close the container before you can pick up the items, so I just disabled the container object after they are opened as a temporary solution. I'm sure eventually I'll come up with a cleaner UI system that will make both pools of players happy.

Frank following you has its use in another story-line.

Also, Frank's story-line is not complete, so you might see Frank eventually get what's coming to him as I get further into his story.

Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:14 pm
Rank 1
Rank 1

This is very fun mistacorn and has great potential! I am really looking forward to seeing where it goes!

I think the environments & props are good for an alpha. If you're interested, my main suggestions would be:

1. Decouple the story lines, so they don't rely too much on each other. Its a nice idea interweaving them so tightly, but it also means its easy to lock yourself out of a load of endings, potentially quite late in the game - maybe there could be multiple ways to complete the stories as an alternative?
2. A save system.
3. The inventory could feel a little more robust (e.g. 'take' for keep makes me think I'm going to lose an item any moment)
4. Some sort of context-sensitive feedback so its clear what you can do, and also not do, with items (e.g. with the camera I was wondering if it was possible to go around taking photos, but I just couldn't find the controls, I also wanted to play with Madison's phone!)

I really like that you are using Unity and Daz models. I see lots of projects (e.g. on the Oculus NSFW subreddit) which keep re-inventing the wheel, when we have these great tools, I don't see why people don't use them. For example, have you considered http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/vertex ... ed.277294/ for some nice soft-body physics effects? From what I have read it looks like quite a self-contained solution, and one of their demos has a female avatar with breasts, hips and hair with jiggle effects. I was thinking of buying it to try out doing just that. I am also keeping an eye on Erogensis' Project E (http://erogenesis.blogspot.co.uk/p/proj ... c3c4b4d172). If he or she decides to release it under a real-time 3D friendly license, it would be brilliant - a model catered for adult projects, compatible with a Daz based pipeline, for hopefully much less than Daz's extortionate developer license!

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:01 am
Rank 14
Rank 14

ogden wrote:
This is very fun mistacorn and has great potential! I am really looking forward to seeing where it goes!

I think the environments & props are good for an alpha. If you're interested, my main suggestions would be:

1. Decouple the story lines, so they don't rely too much on each other. Its a nice idea interweaving them so tightly, but it also means its easy to lock yourself out of a load of endings, potentially quite late in the game - maybe there could be multiple ways to complete the stories as an alternative?
2. A save system.
3. The inventory could feel a little more robust (e.g. 'take' for keep makes me think I'm going to lose an item any moment)
4. Some sort of context-sensitive feedback so its clear what you can do, and also not do, with items (e.g. with the camera I was wondering if it was possible to go around taking photos, but I just couldn't find the controls, I also wanted to play with Madison's phone!)

I really like that you are using Unity and Daz models. I see lots of projects (e.g. on the Oculus NSFW subreddit) which keep re-inventing the wheel, when we have these great tools, I don't see why people don't use them. For example, have you considered http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/vertex ... ed.277294/ for some nice soft-body physics effects? From what I have read it looks like quite a self-contained solution, and one of their demos has a female avatar with breasts, hips and hair with jiggle effects. I was thinking of buying it to try out doing just that. I am also keeping an eye on Erogensis' Project E (http://erogenesis.blogspot.co.uk/p/proj ... c3c4b4d172). If he or she decides to release it under a real-time 3D friendly license, it would be brilliant - a model catered for adult projects, compatible with a Daz based pipeline, for hopefully much less than Daz's extortionate developer license!

Thanks for the feedback ogden!

In reply to your suggestions:

1. I do intend on adding a couple of extra ways to solve some storylines in case you lock yourself out of one. Although the only way you can really do that right now is by beating up Patrick too soon or being a dick to one of the girls. With the dialogues, I drew some inspiration off of those browser type games where you have to make the right choice on each page or start over, but overwhelmingly I am seeing that in this open world style of play, players are wanting ways to redeem themselves rather than having to start over, and I am responding to that.

2. A save system is high on the list. Ironically, it's a pain in the ass to do in Unity, but I have a game plan to make it happen.

3. I agree. I fully admit that the inventory was a throw-together system just so I could start getting things to happen interactively. It's in line for a revamp as well, but as I mentioned before, I spend most of my time tweaking the base engine to create something I can easily reuse. I'm hoping that the next concept I come up with for a game takes a fraction of the development time, and I will be adding to and enhancing the engine more than fishing out bugs and testing (which is what I'm mostly doing now).

4. I do plan to add more environmental interaction down the line. Again, going around taking screenshots with a camera sounds easy to do, but it's actually quite involved within Unity. It was my first thought when I implemented the camera, but proved to be more than just a quick addition. I'm not saying I won't do it eventually, but again, it goes back to priority being on the core engine itself.

I think the reason a lot of people shy away from Daz models is because there aren't really good instructions on how to prep them for use within Unity. It was a lot of trial and error, and I'm still not where I want to be with them. Some of the models when exported are upwards of 300,000 polygons, and realistically I need to cap most of them at about 50k max. In a regular game, you'd ideally want somewhere between 5k and 20k, but I'm allowing myself more on this project because the quality of the models is obviously of great importance. Also, I wrestled for a long time with creating custom shaders because of the way the clothes export. They just don't want to stay on top of the models' skin whenever animation is applied to them, and it was a huge pain to deal with. So between decimation, preserving the blendshapes, finding a balance between quality and polygons on the hair and clothing, and getting the clothing to play nice with animations, it's been quite a ride. But, I think it was worth it, as I've gotten a lot of compliments on the visual quality of the game.

Thanks for that link. That's pretty cool, especially being shader based. Right now I'm using a bone-based system to jiggle the boobs. I think I will play around with that.

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:12 pm
Rank 1
Rank 1

No problem, thanks for replying!

Although i've never played the original browser based games, I really liked the whole setup as it is, including being able to go and try with the girls multiple times. It makes it feel kind of like an exploration or adventure game where you are trying to figure out how it works.

I see what you mean about getting started with Daz models. I have been working on automatically processing Genesis FBXs direct from Daz inside Unity to simplify the pipeline, and forget how much of a pain they are before you know how.

The way I do it now is:

1. Let Unity import the model and prepare it fully
2. Initialise a data structure containing all the information about the submeshes
3. Use a managed wrapper around the FBX SDK to open the asset again and pull the texture information that Unity misses first time round and add it to the above structure
4. Based on material names, atlas the textures into one or two atlases and update the UVs
5. Again based on material names, rebuild the submeshes into 3-4 submeshes
6. Rebuild the materials, swapping out the shaders for appropriate ones (e.g. transparency for eyelashes, SSS for skin, specular only for cornea etc)

The process so far is automated (with a short bit of Genesis specific code that says which submeshes/textures should be combined with which), and reduces the batch count for my test model from 98 to 14 (I haven't looked at clothes yet).

I agree quality over speed for a game like this when it comes to the models! The thing is with Unity is easy to drop the draw calls by reducing light count and shadow quality, but no way to add detail for those with PCs that could've handled it. I certainly had no performance issues on my machine with your alpha and you have a good few models!

PS. I tried VertExmotion, and the results are really good. Its quite easy to prep the model and there is no obvious performance hit.

Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:40 pm
Rank 7
Rank 7

On the subject of cupboards:

Now, i'm not a programmer, but I have a little bit of experience with Playmaker and following some of the tutorials, so i'm familiar with a couple of things. I know for instance that when clicking on an object in a 3D scene, this is usually done by firing a ray from the camera in a straight line (usually for a limited distance) and checking to see if the ray hits an object (or collides with a trigger) that can be interacted with.

Based on what I saw while playing it, i'm assuming that every cupboard/fridge/etc has one large trigger encompassing the entire object as well as a short space in front of it, and that you're checking to see if the player is within that trigger (close to the object) and then having the 'open' button pop up if they are.

With that in mind, it might be best to make each cupboard door one large collision trigger...just the door part itself, not the entire cabinet...and have it so you must click on the actual door itself to either open or close it. This is how it tends to work in most FPS games, including exploration ones like Gone Home (Gone Home's actually a really good example of being able to easily explore a house and all of it's clutter). Rather than having a dedicated 'open' button that appears in the screen, you just click the door itself as you would any other object in the game, and then click the items inside when you can see them.

Speaking of which, when playing the alpha, there were a couple of times when I was able to grab the pills in the cabinet without actually opening it (as the door wasn't blocking the ray when I click on it), so it might be worth having items be "Untouchable" unless the linked Door object is set to the "Open" state.

On the subject of Daz 3D models:

There are a couple of plugins that might make things easier for you.

The first is the Morph 3D stuff (asset store). Basically Daz 3D are now officially supporting Unity, so you can now download/buy ready-to-use characters/outfits/hair for use directly in Unity. There's also a scripted system that allows you to customise characters with different face/body morphs and different hair/clothes like you would do in Daz Studio, both while making the game and during gameplay (you can use scripting to change a character's attributes).

The second is Mega Daz. It's a plugin that allows you to load in Genesis as well as any morph files you need. Unfortunately it's not a standalone product, but rather it's an addon for MegaFiers, a much larger (and expensive) set of tools for adding dynamic mesh effects (such as morphing, twisting, bending, ripple distortion, spline distortion, etc).

I've never used either of these (I haven't dug that deeply into Unity myself yet), so I have no idea how good either of these are, but they might be worth looking into at least.

Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:31 pm
Rank 14
Rank 14

NTNgear wrote:
On the subject of cupboards:

Now, i'm not a programmer, but I have a little bit of experience with Playmaker and following some of the tutorials, so i'm familiar with a couple of things. I know for instance that when clicking on an object in a 3D scene, this is usually done by firing a ray from the camera in a straight line (usually for a limited distance) and checking to see if the ray hits an object (or collides with a trigger) that can be interacted with.

Based on what I saw while playing it, i'm assuming that every cupboard/fridge/etc has one large trigger encompassing the entire object as well as a short space in front of it, and that you're checking to see if the player is within that trigger (close to the object) and then having the 'open' button pop up if they are.

With that in mind, it might be best to make each cupboard door one large collision trigger...just the door part itself, not the entire cabinet...and have it so you must click on the actual door itself to either open or close it. This is how it tends to work in most FPS games, including exploration ones like Gone Home (Gone Home's actually a really good example of being able to easily explore a house and all of it's clutter). Rather than having a dedicated 'open' button that appears in the screen, you just click the door itself as you would any other object in the game, and then click the items inside when you can see them.

Speaking of which, when playing the alpha, there were a couple of times when I was able to grab the pills in the cabinet without actually opening it (as the door wasn't blocking the ray when I click on it), so it might be worth having items be "Untouchable" unless the linked Door object is set to the "Open" state.

On the subject of Daz 3D models:

There are a couple of plugins that might make things easier for you.

The first is the Morph 3D stuff (asset store). Basically Daz 3D are now officially supporting Unity, so you can now download/buy ready-to-use characters/outfits/hair for use directly in Unity. There's also a scripted system that allows you to customise characters with different face/body morphs and different hair/clothes like you would do in Daz Studio, both while making the game and during gameplay (you can use scripting to change a character's attributes).

The second is Mega Daz. It's a plugin that allows you to load in Genesis as well as any morph files you need. Unfortunately it's not a standalone product, but rather it's an addon for MegaFiers, a much larger (and expensive) set of tools for adding dynamic mesh effects (such as morphing, twisting, bending, ripple distortion, spline distortion, etc).

I've never used either of these (I haven't dug that deeply into Unity myself yet), so I have no idea how good either of these are, but they might be worth looking into at least.

Yeah I was actually thinking of doing away with the interactive vs inventory-able differentiation between items and going with a base class that can handle everything I need. I want to start letting the user interact with a lot of different things in the environment (much like the old Leisure Suit Larry games), as this will not only increase the entertainment value of the game, but also make the puzzles more challenging as it's less straightforward what can be used for what when you can pick up and interact with a lot more things.

I've had my eye on Morph 3D. It's very very promising, but not there yet it terms of what I need for this project. For one, the models are not anatomically correct. While Daz's breast and genital morphs are actually pretty good out of the box, there's also a huge community of modders and morphers who have created even more realistic parts. When the game gets into those areas, it would be dissappointing to see what's under the hood of the Moprh 3D characters as opposed to what's available in Daz. Also, I have much more options is terms of clothes and accessories using Daz over Morph 3D. My hope is that the M3D community grows the way Daz has.

Megafliers is outdated. Daz offers direct FBX exports now, and I am able to build all of the texture atlases and do all of the decimation in Daz Studio before I bring it into Unity with much more control than this software would have brought me even back in its day.

Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:37 am
Rank 5
Rank 5

To be fair, I'm impressed :)

I think you did a really great job and I hope if that's what you want that you get some funding and backup to develop your idea!

Just one question though / partly critic, getting the girls naked is fun, but is it on purpose that you can't actually "do" anything at all? I just thought it was a little frustrating, as far as video games go I mean hah.

Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:45 pm
Rank 14
Rank 14

joe wrote:
To be fair, I'm impressed :)

I think you did a really great job and I hope if that's what you want that you get some funding and backup to develop your idea!

Just one question though / partly critic, getting the girls naked is fun, but is it on purpose that you can't actually "do" anything at all? I just thought it was a little frustrating, as far as video games go I mean hah.

By "do" anything, do you mean interact with the girls? I plan to incorporate more depth in this area, but I'm not sure how I'm going to go about it just yet. At the moment, it plays a lot like a Leisure Suit Larry game where humor and eye candy are your biggest rewards. I've only just begun developing the game a few months ago, and I have a lot more planned for it.

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:03 pm
Rank 14
Rank 14

Hey guys! I’m happy to announce that House Party has a new version! This new build is primarily a heavy revamp on the core engine containing enhancements to gameplay mechanics including the much talked about path-finding system. I’ve fixed a ton of core issues based on a lot of user feedback, and I’ve enhanced the way the game works and feels based on what you all have suggested. There isn’t a whole lot of new content in terms of storylines, but there is actually a lot more to do because of a new system that I implemented, and there is some new eye candy for those of you interested in that. Without further ado, here’s the change log:

Fixed an issue where Stephanie gets glitched.
Fixed some issues where dialogues were closing and never re-opening.
Heavily enhanced path-finding logic.
Added a new menu for interaction.
Sparkles! Added a sparkling particle effect around items you can interact with.
Changed “look around” to right mouse control to facilitate new menu.
Created inventory GUI.
Created easy access icons to game menu and inventory.
Added a new “Inspect” aspect to the game. You can now inspect many objects around the house.
Fixed a bug where Brittney follows you around everywhere.
Enhanced eye and head movement. Characters are now more engaging.
Enhanced combat code
Removed Unity splash screen (I’m pro baby!)

This is an exciting update because the game play is getting to the point where it’s very solid, and this leaves me a lot more time to work on the story! Save feature is still missing, but it’s coming soon.

Here's the link: http://games.eekllc.com

Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 37  Next