View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Pickled Cow's Assessment. 
Rank 17
Rank 17

Just a bit of disclosure, I'm basing my feedback off of the demo, and what I've seen off streams. The demo doesn't run very fast, so unless I get to upgrade my computer, I don't think I'll be buying the full version any time soon. After tinkering with the settings, I've only been able to get a top speed of 25FPS out of the demo under the most ideal conditions.

With that out of the way, let give my thoughts on the game. I'll try not to repeat what has already been said.

A few things work against you

-While I can understand why you chose limit how far down you can look, I think that limit should be removed and allow the player to like straight down. This would also come with the added benefit of being able to manipulate items slightly behind the PC.

-Like everyone else so far, I believe that low altitude limit for the penis should also be removed. Aside from the fact that it's a horrible form of locomotion and the fears of getting rub-burns on the thighs and catching the scrotum on a loose nail head, there's nothing in real life that prevents the penis from being that close to the floor.

-Manipulating larger objects (boxes, furniture) is a nightmare. They are hard to control and tumble all over the place. Anything that is autonomous should be manipulated with the same controls are smaller objects, and should only be weighty if bumped into.

-When playing in window mode, cursor bounces away from edges, making clicking the apply button difficult.

Some ideas

-One thing I see in streams is players trying to throw Samantha's spreader bar on top of the chain block. Actually doing this isn't difficult but getting it stay up there is seems impossible. I suggest reshaping the chain platform from a block to an upside-down table with hooked legs. I've prepared a visual aide for this which I so totally didn't make in Minecraft.
Attachment:
shapely.png
shapely.png [ 18.42 KiB | Viewed 16381 times ]

Alternatively, you could just attach a pair of 12-polygon hooks to all 4 sides of the chain block.

-I suggest that in ctrl mode, that right-clicking without an item held should be a climb/mount function. For example, right-clicking the side of the pool would result in a simple Zenith-Forward-Nadir motion, allowing you to get out of the pool with ease.

-The Q, E, R and F keys should be secondary controls for rotating the camera. Not being able to adjust the camera while manipulating an object can be frustrating.

I have some other ideas, but I belong in feature requests.

EDIT:Two things I Forgot.
-Centering the cursor if no item is held: I sometimes hit crtl over and over again because I couldn't find it. If no item is held, cursor would spawn in the center of the screen.

-The chat needs an instant transition and/or an easy clear function, I feel that it has control for far too long and when I come back to it, it is full of garbage text because I didn't wait long enough before trying to move again.

HOW TO START MODDING

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:55 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

To check why the framerate is lower than 60 fps checkout this post:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=216#p746

In general the game should run at 60 fps on most pc's with an Nvidia or ATI graphics cards (Intel graphics cards are not recommended).

--------------------------------------------

Viewer limits:
The viewer limits are being worked on. The current implementation of it has disadvantages, but allowing to view all angles also has disadvantages.
So we are currently trying to get best of both.

Manipulating larger objects:
Stacking larger objects was not something we thought people would do. So we take that in consideration for next version.

Window mode:
We checkout window mode cursor limits

--------------------------------------------

Throwing Samantha on top of chain block:
Again this is something we did not anticipate people would do. We checkout if this can be improved.

Centering cursor:
Good tip!

Thanks for the ideas :)

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:10 am
Rank 17
Rank 17

xpadmin wrote:
To check why the framerate is lower than 60 fps checkout this post:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=216#p746

In general the game should run at 60 fps on most pc's with an Nvidia or ATI graphics cards (Intel graphics cards are not recommended).

Expect for using windows XP instead of Vista or higher, I do meet the minimal requirements listed on the main site. Since I'm not upgrading windows, I'm hoping that I just have something configured wrong.

Quote:
Viewer limits:
but allowing to view all angles also has disadvantages.

Could you elaborate more on this?

Quote:
Manipulating larger objects:
Stacking larger objects was not something we thought people would do. So we take that in consideration for next version.

Besides the boxes, I saw a streamer try to stack the benches so he could jump over the dividing wall of the pool showers. He rage quit after he the fade out made him think that she left.

Quote:
Again this is something we did not anticipate people would do. We checkout if this can be improved.

I wondered why the support of the chain block was intangible.

Quote:

That's a typo right?

HOW TO START MODDING

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:56 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please send your 'trace.txt' file in the support section, so I can check your system specs. Are you using windows 2000?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:59 am
Rank 17
Rank 17

I've sent it. With the comment "Trace file of Pickled Cow, sent by request of xpadmin"

I actually use Window XP, not 2000.

HOW TO START MODDING

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:01 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

With your specs:

Cpu: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz (2039 Mb)
Graphics-card: ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series (512 Mb)

You should be able to get 60 fps.

Did you try both OpenGl and DirectX mode?

What does the fps (top left) say when you press CTRL+S ?

Is the game using the ATI graphics card and not the build in graphics card?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:25 pm
Rank 17
Rank 17

I've tried both OpenGL and DirectX but performance is the same.

While jumping around aimlessly in the classroom, the highest number I saw was 20.
Also this happened but that's neither here nor there.
Attachment:
screenshot1.jpg
screenshot1.jpg [ 354.94 KiB | Viewed 16313 times ]

Quote:
Is the game using the ATI graphics card and not the build in graphics card?

I've been thinking that this is the case after reading "Sluggishness" but I'm not sure how to check for this on my system.

HOW TO START MODDING

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]