View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 MDritch's Review thus far 
Rank 14
Rank 14

So, I'll get the usual caveats out of the way: yes, we all realize this is a very very early build of the game at $9 a pop, so there's a certain level of polish that's expected to be missing. Yes, we all can agree on the potential of this project given sufficient funding and possibly community assists via donating 3D models, ideas, etc.

With that said, here's what I thought (and, no, I'm not going to give it a score, or a certain number of stars: just pure unadulterated opinion, take it for what it's worth). Also, I'd be remiss to point out that I've refused to read any other feedback or reviews on purpose so I can stay as objective as possible.

The Good:

Clothing physics: That's what really sold me on the game, almost immediately. After trying the demo, after watching videos, I just knew I could part with the $9 cause I liked where *this* particular feature was headed. I've always liked the idea of 'clothing play'. I think it's a big part of the appeal for me, undressing the girl one article of clothing at a time. The fact that--so far as my meager experience in h-gaming and adult gaming in general can tell me--no one has even tried to tackle this *right* until now piqued my interest. I know h-games have those one click removal of clothing, but being able to undo a girl's dress button by button (or, hopefully, undoing a zipper) just does it for me. Add to the fact that the physics of clothing allows for so much deformation around the action (even being able to pull tops around or under breasts) gives me a lot of hope for this feature going forward.
MDritch's wish going forward: I'd love to see being able to re-dress a girl at some point, and if at all possible, have clothing that weighs and deforms differently depending on what material it is. Probably a way too tall a task to tackle, at least in the immediate future, but one can (continue) to dream, yeah?

Lack of voice acting (dialogue): Oh, I know this was probably unintended (i.e. constrained by resources), but it's a pretty brilliant move. Outside of BoneTown/BoneCraft, and the Leisure Suit Larry game, I've yet to find an English-language adult game (and, of course, an English dubbed h-game) that did this right, and I like that we're sticking to the silent dialogue. It provides ample opportunity for the imagination, as well as allowing the script to speak for itself. Nothing ruins a good game better than poorly acted dialogue!

BDSM equipment: I loved this. Again, maybe my experience is way too limited to just a few Illusion games (Artificial series, Love Girl, Schoolmate, Homemate), but this is really the first time I've personally played around with BDSM equipment like this, virtually and literally, and it was a lot of fun. I liked the reaction on the flesh as each item is used, the way Samantha reacts to where she's being hit, how hard, how often. The redness of her skin, of her nipples as they are dragged down by weights. I think there's a real future with this feature, and I can't wait to see where we can take this as time goes by.
Mdritch's wish going forward: The obvious wish is more equipment. With time and funding and possibly help from the community, I'd love to see different rigs come into play. Right now we're limited to the chains and the cage, but there others that could be added at some point. St. Andrew's cross, strappado bondage, variations on rope bondage, etc. Also, harnesses that allow players to slide toys into orifices without having to hold the object inside.

Sound Effects and Physics in general: Specifically, the sound effects in the BDSM session; the slapping sound was a nice touch. Overall, the physics is heading in the right direction. I like how the girls react to the force of thrusting, or slapping. Obviously still needs quite a bit of polish, but really well done.

The Bad:

Of course, 'The Bad' is subjective here, but I reaffirm the goal of this review as feedback on the game as it currently stands, not on how it hopefully will become. With that said, I won't go into features I know is coming in the pipeline, or a wishlist of stuff I'd like to see in the game.

Walking Animation: This is probably just 'missing' at this point, but I've yet to see anyone *actually* walking in the game (Samantha was running on the treadmill, however). This lack of walking probably translates somewhat to why there's an inorganic transition between normal to sex, and within sex from position to position, scenes.

Floating penis: First off, I'm sure the penis itself will get better as we move forward with better 3D model donations. The real problem here is the fact that the rest of the player body doesn't exist. We essentially only have a penis, and one hand. This leads also the camera issue. Because we adhere to the first person view in totality we tend to miss a lot of the action when we interact with the women. It also makes it harder to 'aim', so to speak, with any consistency (control issue as well). I'd love to have a third person view during intercourse to better manage the camera. I think we can do with what they did in 3DCG and use a man-shaped solid blue 'fog' person if that will make things easier.

Wobbly penis and out of control physics: A polish issue, to be sure, but as I said in my previous point, it's hard to aim with the penis with any sort of consistency. And even when you get there, there are times when you simply 'pop out'. I'm not sure exactly what the fix is here, but I thought I'd be point it out. Likewise, same with the physics in general. The physics overall has been a breath of fresh air, but you can still it's still very rough around the edges. I had one hilarious moment in the game when I lost the vibrator inside Jenna's ass. And then there's the inability to do missionary (this also applies to my 'Floating Penis' point), or to have intercourse near the edge of the bed. It's hard to maneuver the girl closer to the edge for penetration. And then there's the problems with walking/climbing over small objects, the bed, etc. Again, all polish issues, but thought I'd point it out anyway.

Controls: The controls are pretty cumbersome to use at this point. The ctrl mechanic could be tightened up (or even do away with altogether if possible). The mechanic for orienting an object I found a little difficult to grasp. The controls for intercourse need to be re-thought, I think. I don't know how that can be done, though, without getting a completely different set of controls for sex as opposed to the real world, or without using a UI like h-games tend to do. Could we map the mouse wheel scroll to work for intercourse the same way it works for the sex toys?

Anyhoo, that's all I can think of. I tried not to get into 'wish list' mode as much as possible. And, of course, I reserve the right to be pleasantly surprised when these problems are fixed in upcoming updates :)

Tue May 21, 2013 1:42 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good insights!

The walking animation is also something we find lacking.

Like we mentioned in other posts, we are working on combining physics and motion capture.
This proved to be difficult, but I have added a short movie here to show some of the progress we are making in this area.

Thanks you for the review

Tue May 21, 2013 10:51 am
Rank 14
Rank 14

And thank you for replying!

I tried to be as honest and objective as possible, without going into 'hype overdrive', or 'wish list mode'. I'll be looking forward to the updates as they come :) Thanks for the game!

Tue May 21, 2013 8:32 pm
Rank 14
Rank 14

Oh! One more thing I noticed that hopefully will get resolved in 2.2 or later: there's a shadow for when you're cumming inside her mouth? o_O I'm assuming that's a known issue, but there it is! Also, sometimes the cum seems to shoot up into her eyes from inside her mouth <_<

And, finally, sometimes the girl has trouble telling which hole something is in: sometimes she'll think it's in both holes at once when really it's only in one?

Wed May 22, 2013 4:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]