View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 3.5 (+patch) Performance! 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here is a screenshot with CPU loads.

You see that 4 CPUs are used: 2 at about 60% 2 at about 30%.

Because for the cloth physics a lot of memory is used, not all of it fits into the fastest cached memory.
So that is why the CPUs cannot be fully used. Only if between the ops no waiting occurs the CPUs can be fully used.

N.b.
Threads are assigned to CPUs by OS, so the usage can differ per system and OS.

Attachment:
screenshot1.jpg
screenshot1.jpg [ 496.46 KiB | Viewed 14928 times ]

Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:13 pm
Rank 12
Rank 12

ttant wrote:
W>hat is the catalyst version you use ? 15.7, 14.12 or a beta one ?

not quite sure, there's a few "version" numbers in CCC.

I think that's it?

I last updated a few months back, 17 march 2015 according to windows.

xpadmin wrote:
Here is a screenshot with CPU loads.

You see that 4 CPUs are used: 2 at about 60% 2 at about 30%.

Because for the cloth physics a lot of memory is used, not all of it fits into the fastest cached memory.
So that is why the CPUs cannot be fully used. Only if between the ops no waiting occurs the CPUs can be fully used.

N.b.
Threads are assigned to CPUs by OS, so the usage can differ per system and OS.

The cpu usage is shown on all of my screenshots via the purple numbers on the left.
Core 3 is the one that's is struggling. It hits 80%and stop's, which from what you are saying is due to cashe.

Each core in a multicore CPU has separate L2 cashe.
I have 1 thread and 1MB L2 cashe per core on my CPU.

The issue is not where the threads are it IS the threads.

Thread 3/Core 3 is doing more than 1 2 and 4 combined.
Its hitting a wall at 80% due to cashe (from what you are saying)

If the problem is cashe, than thread 3 could be split to use multiple cores to get the benefit of more cashe.
Each core in a multi-core CPU has separate L2 cashe, you could spread the load to benefit from better performance here.

I'm not sure if this is possible with your current engine, but maybe look into it in the future? it might be a big step to fixing the highly demanding physics the game has.

Oh, while im here. I will confirm that the patch fixed the end of tentacle dreams in the caves for me. The creatures where not showing up, but i can and have now finished the story.

Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:45 pm
Rank 16
Rank 16

if I may...

first, one thread can't be splited to multiple cpu/core.

suppose there is a thread for physics, 1 thread for script interpreter,1 thread for rendering engine and the main thread for inputs and synchro
now suppose the physics thread is the heavier, there is no need to render 4 frames, 20 script interpreter pass, and 50000 wait for inputs during the ONE pass physics thread.
this could be why, 1 core have heavy load, and not the others.

depending what the heavier thread do, you can't balance that nor split it into other threads.

also, speaking of cache,
1Mb cache is little and big at the same time, for caching subroutines/loop/reccurrent code (what cache is made for), it's perfect and "big".
now, if you working with any graphic editor (paint, photoshop) a simple 800x600 rgb picture should take 1.44MB memory (woot! size of a floopy xD ), 800x600x 3(1Bytes channel color)
even if you do the same 2 lines code again and again, say : add 0x010101 to each pixel, system will probably cache miss each pixel of your bitmap and have to load it from memory.

for the engine,
we know that there is body/object and clothes physics.
I separate the 2, because clothes don't interact with other clothes.
maybe each cloth can be calculated separately after body & physics. but the fact is that everything can't (probably ) be calculated separately because each "object" needs to know where the other are.
and if they are all calculated at the same time in independant context, I don't guarantee the result :p
humm maybe it's possible since 1 frame delay between collision could be not important, or could be.

and now, I'll stop speculating on a code I did not wrote.

Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:16 am
Rank 17
Rank 17

b00marrows wrote:
Open GL:

Some bad news, looks like i cant take screenshots of OpenGL. I'm not sure why but here's an example:
Attachment:
The attachment OpenGL.png is no longer available

How did you take these screenshots?

I have 2 methods for taking screenshots, The first one is hitting the PRINT SCREEN key and pasting the image into any image editor and saving it.

The second method is through Irfanview's capture function. I just press C and edit these setting to suit my needs at that time.
Attachment:
capinglikeaboss.png
capinglikeaboss.png [ 21.85 KiB | Viewed 14905 times ]

HOW TO START MODDING

Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:33 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

@laissemoirire

Well speculated :)

The physics calculations of the cloths are indeed spread over 2 separate threads because that is possible.
So cloth 1 is assigned to cloth thread 1 and 2 to 2 etc...

Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:13 am
Rank 10
Rank 10

b00marrows wrote:
not quite sure, there's a few "version" numbers in CCC.

I think that's it?

catalyst 15.7 are 15.20.1046-... (or 2015.0622.2137.37044 if you look at the CCC version).
Accordingto the version you wrote, it seems to be catalyst 14.9.

Try to update the graphic driver to see if it solve the opengl issue you have ;)

Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:18 am
Rank 17
Rank 17

Tested and in DX it max 1 core but in OpenGL only about 60% on 1 core.

Attachments:
OpenGL.jpg
OpenGL.jpg [ 347.69 KiB | Viewed 14877 times ]
DirectX.jpg
DirectX.jpg [ 219.59 KiB | Viewed 14877 times ]
Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:35 am
Rank 12
Rank 12

I updated my drivers and got some "function" from open GL.
Seems i have to tab out and tab back for the openGL screenshots to update, so fucking weird...
Anyway that's done now.

So the game is going to have 1 thread that chokes while the others practically idle away... neat.

Interesting to see that the threads are moved around in OpenGL, now thread/core 2 is the sinkhole.

Now, seems i need to pay more attention to CPU cashe's as this game is the only one that has ever lead to this issue, i wonder how much a CPU would need to counter this bottleneck...

The cpu i was looking at, the ( i7-5820K ) has LESS l2 cashe than my current one @ 256KB per core ... but it dose have 15MB or L3 cashe... URGH i need more information...
Oh, turns out My current CPU has 2MB of l2 cashe per core lol, the site i was using was wrong.

Ah yes i should make a computer building thread next! im not sure how we could check for cpu cashe requirements tho...

Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:17 am
Rank 17
Rank 17

Not Worth it at all with the "server" cpu s2011, they cost so much and your computer have no problem at all with this game.

Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:27 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

Pickled Cow wrote:
How did you take these screenshots?

Press CTRL + X ingame
screenshots are name screenshot1 screenshot2 ....
beware, after a game restart, the count restart to screenshot1, so while you don't quit the game you don't have overwrites, if you quit they are overwriten next time

Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next