View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 03 - Advanced Facial Responses 
Rank 5
Rank 5

This is a make-or-break the game scenario.

I've seen the newer models you guys are working on, I think, and they look great to me.
I believe you are definitely separating yourselves from the other 3D sex games at this point, by addressing anatomy issues and making the chicks look less "CG"... but they are still going to look robotic without dynamic faces.

Once again, i'm just making sure to cover all the bases, as I feel this game has tons of potential. Sorry if I offend by telling you stuff you already know.

The eyes need to look around. The heads need to do some turning. And they should have mannerisms... things that they do with their bodies.

During the sex, it ruins the mood for me when I see the chick smiling, then suddenly angry, then sad (or maybe its "worried" lol either way). Each facial response should be fitting, and there needs to be tons of them.

If my immersion is constantly broken? I'm not going to play. That's the reality of my perspective.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:54 am
Rank 10
Rank 10

I hope you don't view my responses as sarcastic or rude, because I don't intend them to be.

However, very few video games can do what you're asking properly. In my opinion this game already far outdoes regular video games in many aspects. Making facial nuances is some high-budget stuff. Or something they'd have to adapt/port from another engine which would be extremely time consuming.

I have zero knowledge on the programming aspects of video games, but I don't think these kind of features are ones that are easily implemented. I go by what they already excel at, which is physics. I think they should be striving for the most interesting and fun gameplay as possible. We're never going to reach the status of "perfect h-game" with the amount of time the devs have to dedicate to the game. Yet, it's definitely possible to make the most enjoyable h-game by expanding on what they do best.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:55 pm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Tobz wrote:
I hope you don't view my responses as sarcastic or rude, because I don't intend them to be.

However, very few video games can do what you're asking properly. In my opinion this game already far outdoes regular video games in many aspects. Making facial nuances is some high-budget stuff. Or something they'd have to adapt/port from another engine which would be extremely time consuming.

I have zero knowledge on the programming aspects of video games, but I don't think these kind of features are ones that are easily implemented. I go by what they already excel at, which is physics. I think they should be striving for the most interesting and fun gameplay as possible. We're never going to reach the status of "perfect h-game" with the amount of time the devs have to dedicate to the game. Yet, it's definitely possible to make the most enjoyable h-game by expanding on what they do best.

I know how to do this in my own game engine. In UDK (Unreal development kit, powered by Unreal Engine 3) you would use Face FX, and use code to trigger a POSSIBILITY of facial changes, based on defined circumstances.

If you have "zero knowledge" of something, you should probably avoid talking about said-something, unless seeking to improve your knowledge, as it really is a waste.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:54 pm
Rank 11
Rank 11

All right mate, I'm a 30 year software veteran, have worked on almost every bit of kit that opens and shuts, in just about every language, industry and toolset including a lot of 3D and social game work. And I'm here to tell you, the engine the X Moon guys have put together is completely revolutionary. You probably don't know enough physics or programming to appreciate just how extraordinary and difficult their achievement really is. I find it jaw-dropping both technically and as a user experience.

But even if you don't know enough to appreciate the subtleties of their work, it ought to be obvious to any programmer that they're not going to be able to implement XSP in any COTS game engine - including Unreal - and they're not going to be able to integrate any COTS engine with the XSP one. To imagine that doing so is possible, much less trivial, is ludicrous.

So get a grip. My advice to you is (1) stop flaming people for their lack of technical knowledge since it's clear you have very little yourself, and (2) stick to the constructive criticism - your points here were pretty valuable until you started whining like a pussy and flaming like a dick. Learn the golden rule and treat people right here, and you'll find they do the same for you.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:23 am
Rank 5
Rank 5

friendly wrote:
All right mate, I'm a 30 year software veteran, have worked on almost every bit of kit that opens and shuts, in just about every language, industry and toolset including a lot of 3D and social game work. And I'm here to tell you, the engine the X Moon guys have put together is completely revolutionary. You probably don't know enough physics or programming to appreciate just how extraordinary and difficult their achievement really is. I find it jaw-dropping both technically and as a user experience.

But even if you don't know enough to appreciate the subtleties of their work, it ought to be obvious to any programmer that they're not going to be able to implement XSP in any COTS game engine - including Unreal - and they're not going to be able to integrate any COTS engine with the XSP one. To imagine that doing so is possible, much less trivial, is ludicrous.

So get a grip. My advice to you is (1) stop flaming people for their lack of technical knowledge since it's clear you have very little yourself, and (2) stick to the constructive criticism - your points here were pretty valuable until you started whining like a pussy and flaming like a dick. Learn the golden rule and treat people right here, and you'll find they do the same for you.

Half-assed responses don't sit well with me, especially when I'm aware that people are going out of their way to respond almost exclusively to my posts, for whatever reason.
I feel I have enough reason to be upset with these individuals. You may not feel the same, but that's your problem, since you're acting as though it affects you in the slightest.

I don't "Need" a certain type of response, and don't particularly have a preference... So going the extra mile to secure a certain response would be a waste... And by the way... your respond could far more easily be considered "whining like a pussy and flaming like a dick"... Lets be honest =P Entirely unnecessary and will resolve nothing, as you are only trying to "fight" instead of giving me any social advice that I could actually utilize. So, I would say take your own advice, and stop whining in excess.

To address your statements about programming/physics, you realize I wasn't suggesting that they USE FaceFX in their engine, yes? I said nothing to even infer that I meant this lol, so the majority of your statements are the spawn of poor reading comprehension. Congratulations.

What's appreciation for what they've done here have to do with anything? Is this the appreciation forum?
This is the feature request forum, and even still, i've given credit where credit was due in some of my other posts (which I assume you've read since you're keeping such good tabs on me). So why are you butthurt? Because you see me as some sort of internet villain that needs to be brought to e-justice? Seriously, batman?

You've proven yourself to be a hypocrite, a whiner, and a complete idiot. Hope that's enough reason for you decide to shut up.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:28 am
Rank 9
Rank 9

Shift00 wrote:
Half-assed responses don't sit well with me, especially when I'm aware that people are going out of their way to respond almost exclusively to my posts, for whatever reason.
I feel I have enough reason to be upset with these individuals. You may not feel the same, but that's your problem, since you're acting as though it affects you in the slightest.

I don't "Need" a certain type of response, and don't particularly have a preference... So going the extra mile to secure a certain response would be a waste... And by the way... your respond could far more easily be considered "whining like a pussy and flaming like a dick"... Lets be honest =P Entirely unnecessary and will resolve nothing, as you are only trying to "fight" instead of giving me any social advice that I could actually utilize. So, I would say take your own advice, and stop whining in excess.

To address your statements about programming/physics, you realize I wasn't suggesting that they USE FaceFX in their engine, yes? I said nothing to even infer that I meant this lol, so the majority of your statements are the spawn of poor reading comprehension. Congratulations.

What's appreciation for what they've done here have to do with anything? Is this the appreciation forum?
This is the feature request forum, and even still, i've given credit where credit was due in some of my other posts (which I assume you've read since you're keeping such good tabs on me). So why are you butthurt? Because you see me as some sort of internet villain that needs to be brought to e-justice? Seriously, batman?

You've proven yourself to be a hypocrite, a whiner, and a complete idiot. Hope that's enough reason for you decide to shut up.

Its not just about appreciation, its about respect that some stuff wont be doable to be put into timeline of development. Al-tough your ideas are nice non the less, but some seem over enthusiastic for the time being. (its not a bad thing) So why push so much for something that might not be doable now?

And as question to your dispute with the other members of this forum. You act like an asshole simply put. Why write as if you stand above everyone else?
Why all these impolite and even ill-mannered responses like how people should "shut up" and how they are ".. hypocrite, a whiner, and a complete idiot."
Why all the negativity? Can't you debate without the ' ill-mannered' language?
Even towards the devs you write as if you are better at game engine/development then they are. You should try to give positive critic instead of giving a rude critic with an 'sorry' as excuse. Give ideas of all sizes and not "what is not good".

And as the last point regarding actually on topic matter, when you compare their engine with for example Unreal tools. Its not weird why someone would be confused and believe that you wanted them to use Unreal or create the same function. Throw us a bone, how should they do it? What is your point?

Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:22 pm
Rank 5
Rank 5

tomten wrote:
Shift00 wrote:

Its not just about appreciation, its about respect that some stuff wont be doable to be put into timeline of development. Al-tough your ideas are nice non the less, but some seem over enthusiastic for the time being. (its not a bad thing) So why push so much for something that might not be doable now?

And as question to your dispute with the other members of this forum. You act like an asshole simply put. Why write as if you stand above everyone else?
Why all these impolite and even ill-mannered responses like how people should "shut up" and how they are ".. hypocrite, a whiner, and a complete idiot."
Why all the negativity? Can't you debate without the ' ill-mannered' language?
Even towards the devs you write as if you are better at game engine/development then they are. You should try to give positive critic instead of giving a rude critic with an 'sorry' as excuse. Give ideas of all sizes and not "what is not good".

And as the last point regarding actually on topic matter, when you compare their engine with for example Unreal tools. Its not weird why someone would be confused and believe that you wanted them to use Unreal or create the same function. Throw us a bone, how should they do it? What is your point?

Again, I feel as though people are being inconsiderate to me, and have even been universally rude to me.
I've responded with similar behavior. Do not ignore what others have done and approach me as if I'm the only one who's said anything offensive.

Reading comprehension is what helps prevent confusion. Context clues. There are plenty of them.
Do not try to make excuses for those who misunderstood simple things, and implied other things that were never inferred.

Everyone is acting as if i want the devs to stop what they're doing and address my "SUGGESTIONS"... When I've never said anything about prioritizing my suggestions over what they're already doing... or implied it.

Same goes for the reference to the unreal engine and face FX that the other guy managed to get confused over.... Seriously, man... That wasn't even in my original post, and I was clearly only referencing the POSSIBILITIES, using Face FX as an example... And what was the context clue? I said: "I know how to do this in my engine" WHICH SUGGESTS that the technique is EXCLUSIVE to my engine, before saying anything about face FX.... but even without that, there are enough context clues for one to assume that I didn't mean to use FX in their engine -_-.

Someones jumped to conclusions and called my ideas idiotic, the dude before me went on an all-out emo rampage.. and this was all before any of my responses..

Just think and... take your time before addressing me.. Because this is ridiculous :D

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:09 am
Rank 11
Rank 11

Quote:
Hope that's enough reason for you decide to shut up.

This is a troll. Let's not feed it.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:11 am
Rank 5
Rank 5

friendly wrote:
Quote:
Hope that's enough reason for you decide to shut up.

This is a troll. Let's not feed it.

Nice lol. Denial is pretty cool, I guess.
Don't worry, as long as you dont spout nonsense, I wont be sufficiently entertained.
We're done here then.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:13 am
Rank 9
Rank 9

2.1 animations are very wonky. I'm pretty sure that all of this is being ironed out since they are revamping 2.2's animations with mocap and better blending with physics. But there's nothing too complicated about properly animating a character dynamically. As far as the emotional responses (or any animations for that matter) go it's as easy as blending your animations (however you are doing expressions and whatnots) naturally and use your object state or mood logic to control it properly. It's just buggy as-is so it's worrisome...

Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]