View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Community, Content, Money 
Rank 16
Rank 16

burning wrote:
@TheMohawkNinja, basing the value of a script on its length sounds like a good idea, but it really isn't. Instead of well-written scripts that do a lot of stuff, people would just write bloated scripts that do very little. They might even pad the script out with useless code that does nothing.
Plus, a number of modular scripts is better than a monolithic script. In the first case, you can pick and choose which ones you want to use. In the second, you get a script that doesn't play nice with other scripts.
Determining value requires a human element.

Bugger... you've got a point there. I suppose we can deal with human intervention for now, since the game is in enough of a niche market to not get uber-popular.

Granted, in the end, I say let's just do what all the other small-time game developers do: All mods are free, but if you make an especially good/popular one... JOB OFFER FOR YOU!

Although, even then, that doesn't really apply to this game, since most mods are going to be scripts, which use a custom-made programming language that isn't even applicable for coding the game with. As a result, the only people who could get job offers would be the modelers, which probably wouldn't go down very well with the modders like me who will have contributed much to the scripting-based addons, but have zero art skills to contribute.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:28 am
Rank 12
Rank 12

In my opinion, I'm always a proponent for free mods for games, even if the game isn't free. Perhaps I'm too used to games such as TES (The Elder Scrolls) and games such as Crusader Kings 2, where mods are free, once you've bought the original game.

Take a look at the Elder Scrolls series. All mods are free, since you're using something created by the original developer, and using their engine and tools to make the mods.

I look at it like this: You pay for the software, which gives you the ability to make mods. The mod developers put time into their mods because THEY WANT TO USE THEM, not because they want to make money. Make for yourself, and then for everyone else. You want to share those mods, but you shouldn't be looking for monetary compensation. Perhaps instead run on a donation system? 'If you like the work of this mod author, consider donating', etc?

Just my two cents... (Two cents from a person who has not yet bought the software...but probably will soon, I'm beginning to break down to the idea of using my debit card... :P )

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:06 pm
Rank 16
Rank 16

It's not unreasonable to try to make money off of mods. Counter-Strike started out as a Half-Life mod. Team Fortress was a Quake mod originally. Of course, a lot of value was added before money was being charged.
In the end, it is up to the developer whether or not to allow commercial mods, and it looks like the light is green in this case.
That said, it is true that you must make what YOU would enjoy, not what you think will sell. Your audience will know when you're "faking it" and it won't sell the way it would have if you believed in it.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:16 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

burning wrote:
It's not unreasonable to try to make money off of mods. Counter-Strike started out as a Half-Life mod. Team Fortress was a Quake mod originally. Of course, a lot of value was added before money was being charged.
In the end, it is up to the developer whether or not to allow commercial mods, and it looks like the light is green in this case.
That said, it is true that you must make what YOU would enjoy, not what you think will sell. Your audience will know when you're "faking it" and it won't sell the way it would have if you believed in it.

Counter-strike THE GAME and Team Fortress THE GAME cost money, not the mods.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:16 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

>>

The next release will allow for a lot of modding and customization.

But I think at first the mods will be relative simple.
This because it will still be quite a lot of work to create a whole new character, scene or story from scratch.

Because people can repack the mods into new pack files it will be easy to distribute them.

The way of distributing these packs will be possible through the forum (we will dedicate a section to it).

Also in the future we want people to be able to add them to the account manager. (Only be for more extensive mods)
In this case people could make money by creating mods. Making it more worthwhile to create more elaborate mods.

>>

We will develop more features for XStoryPlayer and making then accessible in the scripts.

For example allowing for a character to pee:
- We add particle fluid element to existing characters (also possible to do yourself in you have Maya)
- We add DoPee(par); function to the script. The variable par can e.g. have values: par.speed, par.duration etc.

Once this feature is added it can be used by everyone in their scripts/ short stories.

We will add every new version of XStoryPlayer to the account manager, so everyone can use "older" mods as well.

>>

So it will be up to the creator of the mods if they will ask money for it.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:07 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

TheMohawkNinja wrote:
burning wrote:

I'm not sure what you're argument is. Mod or game, these began as free mods.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:51 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

burning wrote:
TheMohawkNinja wrote:
burning wrote:

I'm not sure what you're argument is. Mod or game, these began as free mods.

That is my argument... they were mods when they were free, not when they cost money. The money rolled in when they became standalone games.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:14 pm
Rank 14
Rank 14

I'm going to add 1 more fact to the pot. If any content starts out free and then later a price is put on it everyone will pirate it. Also if and when someone becomes good enough to sell a mod it will be after they have done several free ones which will be their portfolio, if you will. A huge detailed mod with lots of new content would be worth a few bucks and maybe a small percentage for the original game producers. Everybody would benefit.

Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:56 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

TheMohawkNinja wrote:
That is my argument... they were mods when they were free, not when they cost money. The money rolled in when they became standalone games.

So... you're supporting my statements, not arguing against them. Okay then.

Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:04 am
Rank 12
Rank 12

:D I would be willing to add more money if we can finish the thing I donated around 30 dollars so for but I would be willing to donate more maybe another $100 I have enjoyed the basic game or original game very much so I know I will like this next one coming out so if the game does as well as we talk on here I think more money will be worth it . the interaction from community has been discussed before . some interact from community ,.but I like the original programmer to have must of the control.

hell with steam

the only thing I remember was free was the demo of this game as stated by the admin the versions releases you can get::when you have donated a certain amount if they the version releases are good I will pay for them. nothing in this world is free. but I like the game so I will donate more !!

on a lot of games the mod packs are free : the mod engine to make the mods you should pay for it!!

Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next