View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Collada support 
Rank 14
Rank 14

I wonder if it is possible to make the filemaker tool also accept collada files.
It should be supported, because not everybody can affort a Maya License for modding.
Modding should be possible without beeing forced to pirate something... Even if you only convert your scenes...

I even think collada should be the primary format. It is xml based and therefore better supported by Version Control Systems.

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:09 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Many open formats like collada, vmrl etc have been partially accepted by the industry.
But because 3d software is always keeps renewing itself it has been hard for these formats to keep up.
Or better formulated for the plugins to keep up.

The only other open format to my knowledge is .ma and therefore we have chosen for it.
Using .fbx is is easy to export Max models to Maya as well.
In my personal experience, .fbx has been the first format that allows models to be successfully exchanged between Max and Maya.
This makes it possible to use a large variety of 3d models without to much annoying conversions.

Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:40 pm
Rank 14
Rank 14

xpadmin wrote:
Many open formats like collada, vmrl etc have been partially accepted by the industry.
But because 3d software is always keeps renewing itself it has been hard for these formats to keep up.
Or better formulated for the plugins to keep up.

The only other open format to my knowledge is .ma and therefore we have chosen for it.
Using .fbx is is easy to export Max models to Maya as well.
In my personal experience, .fbx has been the first format that allows models to be successfully exchanged between Max and Maya.
This makes it possible to use a large variety of 3d models without to much annoying conversions.

I think 3ds is the way to go if you want to exchange between maya and max. As both tools belong to autodesk, they refactored that interfaced as far as i know. Blender also supports 3ds by the way.

The ma format is barely supported by blender. There a few custom plugins which all do not work on every feature.
In my opinion the most complete, open and understandable thing is collada.
Blender comes with native collada support and the properitary tools do support collada too.
Collada was meant to be a universal exchange format. I never had serious problems with it.
FBX also works in most cases, but i have had some models which sufferd strange distortions and a unusable rig after import. OK - last time i tried that is few years ago...

3ds, cinema4d, maya, etc... are all extremly expensive products which DO NOT fit the needs of a private modder who does not want to do software piracy at all. Please dont force us to do so...

Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:12 pm
Rank 4
Rank 4

I would prefer .fbx or .ma or .max
And I'd like to be able to import new bvh animations
Thank you

Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:54 pm
Rank 12
Rank 12

Who supports .ma besides Maya or Autodesk?

BTW, this tools:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=20481519

Helps to get things to FBX and back. But it does not support .ma. So I would vote for FBX as the format of choice. It seems everyone who supports FBX seems to get it right. While Collada has some interpretation issues. I would really like to make models, but I have no way to create .ma files. If someone can point me to a proven tool chain of Blender -> .ma that will work with the game I will use it. But I am not going to buy a $800 Lite version of Maya for a $18 game.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:26 am
Rank 14
Rank 14

Collada indeed has become the worst choice to convert models. I apologize for suggesting it, last time i used it, it was less complex and worked pretty good with all major 3d toolz.

BubbaGump wrote:
Who supports .ma besides Maya or Autodesk?

But I am not going to buy a $800 Lite version of Maya for a $18 game.

True story!

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]