View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 SFM compadiblity mode? 
Rank 17
Rank 17

I've been trying for a long time to find someone who can find a way to convert SFM models to a XSP suitable format. And I find myself wearing thin on the issue...

I find myself wondering, would it just be easier to make XSP compatible with SFM standards? Desired SFM Models would still have to be altered to be comply with XSP programing, and I doubt that SFM and Maya based asseted could be used in the same scene, but it would greatly expand our modding capacity. It's much easier to find SFM people than it is Maya people.

HOW TO START MODDING

Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:57 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

I agree and hope this can be done in the near future. As it stands we can't even get the model from the tutorial in the game let alone a whole new model. I'm sure the devs have a reason for this. They did work out a deal with nikola for the models they do have. To make them an easy convert with one tool could also mean someone could easily reverse engineer their converter. which could be a licensing issue if the models got out to sfm. I have no doubt sfm models will be possible to use in game in the future. but it will require its own plugin container in the engine for direct conversion from sfm to an xsp obj. Can't be done with the same filemaker we have now. even separately you run the risk of having those models out in the free sfm community unless you encrypt them with their own key for thier own converter, hence the need for a separate container. What I'm saying is, it's not so much impossible right now, just not wise to release if it is. To do it "safely" would take some time. They may already be working on it. I think right now top priority is getting the xsp 2 models into xsp4 to meet the most prevalent demands of our community here. and finishing up the next storylines. If we're lucky they'll be adding this function next as well but i'd guess it's more of an XSP 5 or 6 feature. =(

Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:46 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

You know you can import SFM files into Maya, right?

Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:46 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

little clarification :
all assets provided by valve with SFM are copyrighted and can't be a part of commercial project.
but user made assets can be.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:11 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

laissemoirire wrote:
little clarification :
all assets provided by valve with SFM are copyrighted and can't be a part of commercial project.

Naturally, "part of" doesn't include free mods.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:43 pm
Rank 16
Rank 16

burning wrote:
You know you can import SFM files into Maya, right?

Yupp but that would be a double conversion and most regular folks don't own maya, i think PC (and me) want a tool for direct conversion for the SFM models to XSP .obj and textures and stuff. XPadmin did say they are planning on adding texture plugins in the next version. That's definitely a step towards making conversion easier for your everyday fappers or a modder to make a tool.

burning wrote:
laissemoirire wrote:
little clarification :

Naturally, "part of" doesn't include free mods.

And YES THIS =) Can't be part of the engine, but it can be a conversion tool to change one file to another.. as long as it's not commercially sold it will be free until XSP mods hit the steam workshop. Cough cough skyrim cough.

Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:15 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

Maybe we can get to a point where models can be plugins as well that would make importing any model from nearly any filetype doable with one standard plugin that even a script kiddie could do in 5 minutes with copy paste.

Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:18 am
Rank 17
Rank 17

(From another thread)
vaako-7 wrote:
Pickled Cow wrote:
vaako-7 wrote:
I'm still waiting to be able to convert my model into XSP!

I've been looking for people who can help with the issue of converting SFM to Maya, but so far, I simply haven't found anyone who knows how...

Use crowbar to decompile a Source model, and you get .SMD reference files which can be imported with a third party plug-in to Maya. Alternatively, you could use an inbetween program like MS3D to convert SMD's to FBX files and then just import them to Maya.

Hm... If can get this to work, SFM mode may not be necessary.

HOW TO START MODDING

Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]