View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Who else is still using Windows XP? 
Rank 17
Rank 17

Despite the fact that I am the second most active user on this forum right behind xpadmin, I don't really have a computer that can run XSP at full speed, even when cranked down to the lowest settings.

Now I've been using 32-bit XP machines for awhile now. And I doubt that I'll find an XP machine that'll be happy to spend money on, but I have to take into consideration that OS might not be the reason I can't run XSP at 60 FPS.

1:The CPU on my motherboard is 32-bit, which is like a 64-bit CPU, except inferior.

2:A 32-bit CPU is limited to 4 gigabytes of RAM. While a 64-bit CPU is theoretically limited to 16,777,216 gigabytes of RAM. (I am not making this up.)

3:I have to consider upgrading my video card is all I need to do to get 60fps at a decent resolution, when I had to replace my failing ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series (512 Mb) video card with the a ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series (1024 Mb), it did increase 2.1's performance to a point where I could 60fps by being alone in the room. (I got a nearly identical card to save time and money.)

Now while I understand that I'm most likely going to end up with a Window 7 or 8 machine, if I can get a 64-bit windows XP SP3 machine for good price, I'm probably going to end up getting that. But I'd like the hear if there is anyone has gotten a decent 60fps in XSP at a decent resolution on a busy map out before spending that kind of money to begin with.

HOW TO START MODDING

Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:19 am
Rank 15
Rank 15

I always found Windows XP to be a good, stable system. I have a machine that runs it. And on my primary, I use Virtual XP to run certain old programs that won't run on a higher OS. Should you go for a newer OS, which is a good idea seeing how a lot of programs coming out are difficult at best difficult to run with XP, I would suggest getting Windows 7. I've dealt with Windows 8 and it's irritating to get anything done. It feels like you have to jump through hoops just to do the most basic things, eg: accessing the control panel.

My new tower came with 8 and I reformatted it. Thankfully my hardware supported Windows 7, after I looked around enough for the right drivers.

It's a fairly big expense but I find it's worth it if you use a PC as often as I do. It cost about 1,200 Canadian for mine.

Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:48 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

First off, I was not aware that XP even HAD a 64-bit option :lol:.

Secondly, you might be able to upgrade it to run XSP, with at least partial 60 FPS performance (I'm running an i7-2600k with a GTX 580 and 8GB of RAM @1600 Mhz, and I get 30 FPS drops in certain situations) without spending too much money. That being said, to get any real performance, you will most likely need to be able to use more than 4 GB of RAM, which will mean getting a new CPU, which (to get any real increase in performance) will mean getting a new motherboard so you can have a high enough pin count to get a mid-range modern CPU, and then perhaps throw another $150-200 on a GPU to top it all off.

Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:08 am
Rank 17
Rank 17

Malachai wrote:
I would suggest getting Windows 7.

Which one forces you to use a touchscreen interface on a desktop again? Did that start with 7 or 8?

HOW TO START MODDING

Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:09 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

Pickled Cow wrote:
Malachai wrote:
I would suggest getting Windows 7.

Which one forces you to use a touchscreen interface on a desktop again? Did that start with 7 or 8?

None of them do. While Windows 8 has a touchscreen compatible interface, you can switch between that and the classic gridded icon view at anytime with one button press.

Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:11 am
Rank 17
Rank 17

TheMohawkNinja wrote:
None of them do. While Windows 8 has a touchscreen compatible interface, you can switch between that and the classic gridded icon view at anytime with one button press.

I had heard that the metro interface was heavy handed and had to be dismissed whenever you left an app.

HOW TO START MODDING

Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:14 am
Rank 15
Rank 15

I was running xp up until less than a month ago. I had V2.1 running pretty well. The game would throw a fit if i had antialiasing on, so it could easily gave been a graphics card issue rather than an os issue.
What I learned during my research into better systems is that it is all in the graphics card at the moment rather than the processor. I still have my xp machine hanging around, but I seriously doubt it would be able to run 3.0 at all.

Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:16 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

Pickled Cow wrote:
TheMohawkNinja wrote:

I had heard that the metro interface was heavy handed and had to be dismissed whenever you left an app.

The interface is heavy handed in the sense that it's what the OS boots into by default, and that programs like Skype have both an app version and a desktop version, which can be a real pain when you've accidentally logged into the app version, so you can't log into the desktop version because you're already logged in on that computer. Other than that, you can basically ignore the metro interface (if that's what you are calling the new interface that comes with Windows 8) entirely.

Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:53 am
Rank 17
Rank 17

Huh... I didn't even know that they sold computers with six core processors yet.

Can XSP even utilized 6 cores?

HOW TO START MODDING

Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:36 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

In my experience OS or CPU will not have much impact on XSP fps. Pretty sure it's limited by GPU (might still be a problem if you have a stone age CPU)
XSP still uses directx 9, so newer versions of windows don't really improve speed for this game.
64bit might be interesting once there is a shitload of mods and they don't fit all into 32bit app space.

Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next