View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Oculus world scale 
Rank 3
Rank 3

I love that there's an oculus rift option. Unfortunately, the "Scale" sliders range from wrong to wrong. 0.50 and 2.00 are both way too small, it looks like I'm a five year old in a cupboard chasing around a fairy.

Is there a way to adjust the world scale to be correct?

Some suggestions for the developers -
Make the world scale option in-game, not off in some menu. It is much easier to adjust world scale from in-game than at the menu.
Have a ruler somewhere at player height on the wall, in cm. This allows players to easily adjust the world scale to their IPD.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:17 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

AliceHasASecret wrote:
Some suggestions for the developers -
Have a ruler somewhere at player height on the wall, in cm. This allows players to easily adjust the world scale to their IPD.

While I didn't try 3.0 with the rift yet, isn't inter pupilary distance set in the Oculus tool and xsp uses you profile?
As I understand, xpadmin is working on integrating the DK2, so there is probably still some work being done on oculus support.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:59 am
Rank 3
Rank 3

I use DK1, and my IPD is set and my other games are fine.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:01 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

@AliceHasASecret

At what resolution do you run the OR? We use a standard setup that should work for the SDK1.

Do the movies that we have posted on the forum work for you?

They are rendered with the same settings.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:42 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

xpadmin wrote:
@AliceHasASecret

At what resolution do you run the OR? We use a standard setup that should work for the SDK1.

The same settings wont be right for everybody tho, the things that are set in the Oculus Rift tool, like IPD and player height are important for individual perception of the 3d scene.
Afaik Oculus strongly emphasizes devs to use the settings from said tool.

As I said, I didn't test it yet, so I don't know if you query the user's oculus profile from the game already, but AliceHasASecret's post and your answer makes me guess you don't. If it actually does query it and the problem has to do with resolution or FOV, my bad :)

Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:10 pm
Rank 3
Rank 3

xpadmin wrote:
@AliceHasASecret

xpadmin wrote:
@AliceHasASecret

My oculus rift settings are fine. I run at 1280x800 (i.e standard 720p).

I can see everything fine - the 3d and everything is there, and it's not out of alignment. However, the world scale is small - my eyes virtually, in game, are very far apart when they should not be, on any scale.

That is, the distance between my eyes in real life and the distance between the cameras in the virtual world are not equal, causing the world to appear very small.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:29 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Current implementation only works for SDK1. Only IPD can be set using scale parameter.
This because SDK1 has no position tracking and it is the only parameter that could be different per user.

The shaders we use are build in XSP. So only tracking is used of OR.
In other words we use OR SDK1 as a screen to render to and it therefore should work for everyone.

I am somewhat surprised that someone with SDK1 could have issues with it. But we could have made a mistake of course.

We are currently building in the SDK2. In it the setup is quite different, and we will try to make it to conform with OR standards like using the profile.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:33 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

@AliceHasASecret

- Please first set OR resolution to 1280x800 in your display setup.
- Then set the oculus rift at highest resolution possible in your display setup.

Also see instructions in XSP

Please also post a screenshot in OR mode. Use CTRL+x to do so (images are in install directory).
Post the screenshot on the forum.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]