View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 How do we get started in 3D modeling? 
Rank 17
Rank 17

I have no experience in 3D modeling. I don't even have knowledge of what formats, file extensions or even the basic standards 3D models use.

I do have Blender installed and tried to learn how to use it, but got intimidated when it became clear that the tutorial videos I was watching were clearly out of date.

HOW TO START MODDING

Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:34 pm
Rank 5
Rank 5

You can dowload DAZ 3d software for free and use the user guide that comes with it. That is the simplest modeling software out there. There is also Poser and Maya if you have more expirience.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:44 am
Rank 4
Rank 4

It's been a while since I've tinkered around with 3D modeling software, what kind of poly count range(s) would you (the developers) want modelers to aim for?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:34 pm
Rank 7
Rank 7

grom76 wrote:
You can dowload DAZ 3d software for free and use the user guide that comes with it. That is the simplest modeling software out there. There is also Poser and Maya if you have more expirience.

Daz 3D isn't modelling software. It's a program where you use pre-made 3D models to create your images. I should know, i'm a vendor over at Daz 3D. ;P

For actual 3D modelling, Blender is your best bet. It's completely free, yet full featured (it comes with everything you need to create 3D models, renders, and animations).

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:00 am
Rank 10
Rank 10

Try looking at AArtForm Curvy 3D. It a paid software btw.

Here the link for the main site for the software,

http://www.curvy3d.com/

Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:36 am
Rank 1
Rank 1

Curvy 3D I have not tried but from what I can understand from what it is, is that Curvy 3D is a easy to use sculpting program. With the ability to just draw lines to create 3d molds and using sculpting tools to create the shape you want would make it quite easy for everyone to create a model of ones imagination and also that is what it seem to just do, make models.

To be able to rig the model and animate it one first would need to export the model from Curvy 3d as .3ds or .obj and then import that file in to a program like Blender or 3dsMax to add on the additional stuff like bones to rig the model.

I guess that Curvy 3D is a good beginner start to modeling as it seems to be basicaly draw and drag to sculpt to create CGI artwork. Though I'll stay with getting my footing in 3dsMax 2012 version that I currently have.

There are some Tutorials if any of you were to be interested in model creation for Blender and 3dsMax. I could link to stuff for Maya or similar programs but Blender and 3dsMax are the only one I have worked with so I can't say how god the tutorial are. But I'll link them below for any of you that are looking for that sort of things. They are easy to come over in both video and document form for almost any type of program you are using so a quick Google search could yeld what you are requiring.

Blender:
Blender.org
Blenderguru.com
Blendtuts.com
Lynda.com
Wikibooks.org

3dsMax:
Autodesk.com
Digitaltutors.com
CGarena.com
3dm3.com
Lynda.com

Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:37 am
Rank 2
Rank 2

HI
Your means 3D graphic?

Mon May 18, 2015 1:56 pm
Rank 2
Rank 2

Hi
I can speak some think?
It's ok , you need help follow this links ..

Wed May 20, 2015 12:41 pm
Rank 16
Rank 16

I gotta agree with the other guys, Daz isn't a 3d modeling program, but it does help to familiarize yourself with the formats and poser libraries. I think of it as Legos with 3d models. It makes it easy to make a female model who looks exactly as you want. That's actually what mistacorn used to make his models for House party beta. He's having someone redo them now but as is in 2.3 that's what he used.

For actual modeling blender and milkshape are good starters. In real life I like to work with clay but in a 3d program it's all sculpting by adding or cutting polygons with "imaginary orbs" no real morphing in any program I've used, that's why I suck at modeling and have only gone as far as to edit sims hairstyles and clothing in Blender lol. Easiest way to get started getting used to the way a basic modeling program works... at least for me it is. I still suck at it though. If I could find one that works with oculous and gives you an imaginary lump of clay to mold and shape then i'd be golden.

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:05 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

ZBrush kinda works like modeling with clay.

That said, I couldn't get used to its interface, it's very non-standard and confusing.

Also, tabletop 3d scanners are becoming affordable, so you could just model in real clay and scan the result. I guess it would need a little touch up once digitized though.

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next