View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Can I use Maya 2018 to do animations 
Rank 2
Rank 2

Hello,
I am new to the game, new to the forum and am a very happy camper to have found this game.
After adding some of the great mods from the forum and having dug into the modding section of the wiki I determined to get to work modding.
I did some poses with maya 2018 but when I try to load the dungeon to test them my game crashes.

I had a hard time getting the filemaker to process the scene files because my version of maya added some text that the filemaker did not like.

EXAMPLE:
Original body.ma for Monica lists the expression files as:
file -rdi 1 -ns "faceSmile" -rfn "faceSmileRN" "scenes/character7/faceSmile.ma";
While Maya 2018 has:
file -rdi 1 -ns "faceSmile" -rfn "faceSmileRN" -typ "mayaAscii" "scenes/character7/faceSmile.ma";

filemaker stops dead at the first -typ "mayaAscii notation with the message
"cannot convert maya file (gives the file path, then) File 'filename' expected, in file "(gives file path and name) line 5"

Line 5 is where the first -typ "mayaAscii" notation comes in. If I remove -typ "mayaAscii" from all the expression files listed in the .ma filemaker processes the file and writes the .obj files where it should, but when I paste/replace the ...pack\pack_dungeon\scenes\character7\charactershape.obj and run the dungeon it crashes during load...

so either I am missing something in the maya set up or save that is causing this -typ "mayaAscii" notation and eventual failure or else maya 2018 is not compatible.
I can get maya as far back as the 2012 version. (I am using my student version through my university)

I am ready to bust out a bunch of poses and other content for this great game to give back to the communty but at the moment i am hellah stuck.

MJ

Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:04 pm
Rank 17
Rank 17

If they have added some extra code that the filemaker is not expecting then i would not bother using Maya 2018 because you will run into more problems.
I personally used Maya 2014 which worked fine.

ESKARN'S TUTORIALS

Eskarn's Dungeon Mod(BETA)

Eskarn's puzzle map (story)

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:20 am
Rank 2
Rank 2

Eskarn wrote:
If they have added some extra code that the filemaker is not expecting then i would not bother using Maya 2018 because you will run into more problems.
I personally used Maya 2014 which worked fine.

Thank you so much, that is exactly what I needed to know! Love your work, and appreciate the information you put out.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:41 pm
Rank 2
Rank 2

How frustrating, windows 10 will not install maya 2014...

Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:37 pm
Rank 2
Rank 2

Success! Maya 2015 will work. It is at 2016 that the file changes were implemented.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you use windows 10 and have any system like MSI that uses the Nahimic sound software, you MUST kill all nahimic processes in task manager or your drop down menues will not work in maya.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]