View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Maya knowledge 
Rank 18
Rank 18

have anybody of us good knowledge in maya ?

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:08 pm
Rank 4
Rank 4

I have dabbled in it, i mostly know blender being that it is free and only know general 3d modeling skills, so i would be able to modify already made ones but creating my own would take much longer as i learn while i am doing it. but if i modify more and more then i will get the hang of making my own. after the modding community has had time to set everything up then we should make a request and release thread.

Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:36 pm
Rank 8
Rank 8

I would say that I am moderately knowledgeable in Maya, although I prefer 3DSMax.

But the two titles are so similar that I don't foresee much trouble in switching back to Maya when the time comes.

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:01 pm
Rank 4
Rank 4

if you are using maya because of model support then i am sure there are many conversion programs to be had that will easily let you use any program so long as you run it through that conversion program. most 3d programs will let you export in other formats as well, so it might just be a question of general 3d modeling skill and ability.

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:35 pm
Rank 14
Rank 14

A saw is a saw and a hammer is an hammer. If you know how to work with your tools you can create whatever you imagine. Maya, Max or Blender, all tools are the same. You just need to learn their "special behavior". You always start with a cube, extrude a face, cut a edge and so on... Its just the UI which needs training until you know where to look for a specific function.^^

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:53 pm
Rank 12
Rank 12

I went and read the license of Maya for the demo version. I also do not qualify for the student version. So I don't really have any interest in buying Maya or trying to use the demo. Their license seems like a snake in the grass. Even for the demo version.

So, that being said I still have not found any kind of decent conversion program for ".ma" files to a format that the newest Blender can use. If someone here with access to Maya could do a favor for everyone I would suggest this:
  • Create a DXF or .blend file of the standard template.
  • People can then create new models in Blender or anything that supports DXF.
  • Have a very kind person(s) convert back into .ma format and test. Or maybe if someone can setup a dedicated copy of Maya that is scripted to convert stuff to .ma via a webpage. Maybe even a batch script that someone can run at the end of the day. If it is an automatic thing there is no man in the middle that gets overworked. I am a programmer so I could assist someone using Maya to do such a thing.

I figure I will just wait until there is official support for this say FBX, but in the meantime this could be a work around for ppl who don't have Maya.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:53 am
Rank 4
Rank 4

Don't get your hopes up too high
It seems the tutorial Saiko maya model is low detail model, not the one used in game, and it looks like it does not have all the bones

Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:24 pm
Rank 14
Rank 14

You dont need to use maya. Just use any 3d tool you like and send a fbx export to someone who ownes maya to convert it.
I hope xpadmin soon will release a fix for the filemaker which makes it accept fbx files and releases a new resource pack with fbx instead of .ma...

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:03 pm
Rank 16
Rank 16

rezzabae wrote:
You dont need to use maya. Just use any 3d tool you like and send a fbx export to someone who ownes maya to convert it.
I hope xpadmin soon will release a fix for the filemaker which makes it accept fbx files and releases a new resource pack with fbx instead of .ma...

While that works fine with simple non textured and non rigged objects, the workflow to do that with a rigged and textured model is quite intensive.
I gave Saiko a breast job yesterday and while importing the mesh per se was easy as pie, applying it to the already existing rigged version was way over my head, and I wasn't really sure what I did when it finally worked.

Too bad the current mesh in resource pack is low poly and no texture, otherwise I would have shared it right away.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:13 pm
Rank 12
Rank 12

Does the Saiko model just need to be sub-surfaced before export? Like a modifier? I know a lot of the time people edit the base model as a low poly object and then subsurf it to get high detail for renders and export.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next