View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 True Alien Girls 
Rank 10
Rank 10

The trick might be in the words "tangible form of expression".
IF you make a MOD with twi'lek girl, but as you pointed out, change her look in some way that it more or less only resemble the original, but there is something different giving you a space to argue that it is NOT in fact a twi'lek girls, then that might be ok.
But i think it might be quite tricky, and to be sure, those changes might need to be enough significant, that it wouldn't make any sense to create such mod anyway (i mean, whats the point of a twi'lek girl mod, if she doesn't look like a twi'lek in the end).

...so to make the MOD worth it, the resemblance would have to be close enough, but that would put you at risk of getting sued (worst case).
In short - you either dont, or you do and risk prolems - no way around that (unless you'd acquire copyright owner's permission).

Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:14 am
Rank 17
Rank 17

Roggvir wrote:
no way around that (unless you'd acquire copyright owner's permission).

Considering that's Disney now... :?

HOW TO START MODDING

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:33 am
Rank 15
Rank 15

I'm not sure how Disney would take it. Though given that we're a small group and the mods being made aren't making any money or taking away profits, it should be fine. Otherwise, one could argue that any artwork at all is a copyright violation and every piece on Deviant Art would, by law, have to come down. Especially since a large number of it are actual characters from that universe. Along with every fan-fiction and other fan-work out there, game mods included. Hell, even personal convention costumes could come into question. Disney might own it now, but poking at people with "copyright violation" when it's a non-profit form of art would be poking at your entire market. I doubt they would actually bother with the paperwork unless they wanted to potentially screw over their entire fanbase. Because from a legal standpoint they can't pick and choose what stays up and what comes down. In a battle of copyrights, it's all or nothing. Favoritism isn't allowed.

Also, if you wish to design a twi'lek model (again, your own character, not a replica of an existing character) and release it publicly and for non-profit, wouldn't that be considered art and thus a form of expression? Several countries have laws protecting those.

I know before that I spoke about making something similar, but then I started to consider all of this. There's a LOT of Star Wars stuff out there. People are even selling "lekku hats" which they make themselves. And that's for profit. All in all, I sincerely doubt that anyone here would run into trouble for making models to work in this game. There's no market to make money. At most, it's fan-art.

In regards to modeling, the only time I've ever seen problems arise from Lucas was when people took the models directly from Knights of the Old Republic and converted them to work in Jedi Academy. That I can understand as a problem since the models were made by someone else and taken and used without permission. If you make yours from scratch, no one can complain.

Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2