View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Evaluating other art styles. 
Rank 17
Rank 17

I suppose this was going to be brought up eventually so I figure I should be the one to do it. Has the team considered giving the option to using art styles other than photo-realistic?

There are a advantages of not using an photo-realistic art style, such as it is much easier to avoid the uncanny valley. Another is that it can reduce the polygon count by using more simplistic anatomy and textures in favor of overspecializing in realism, there by reducing the load on the system.

I already know the logistical problems already adding another art style to a game this far along, which is why I started this thread in other instead of feature requests, but let's start a dialog anyway.

Let's get the obvious art-style to be brought up out of the way; anime.

The Anime style is quite popular both only if you can find a way to stand out in a ocean. The first thing you need to do is avoid same-face-syndrome. But awhile back I reviewed a game called Street Fucker 2, a game that I praised for its level of customizable detail (but criticized for its unfinished interface). All the premade characters that came in that game had unique faces, if not unique heads some cases such as with Haruhi.

One thing I did notice though that the models in street fucker 2 is that the facial features did not move like anime facial features but instead like those of a 3D object. I have noted however, that the faces made by pararbolica's work exactly like those found in hand-drawn anime. As seen in this video that demonstrates the engine of their upcoming game.
(Enjoy that video while you can, I have no idea how long that can stay up on Youtube.)

I don't know how erotic people with fine authentic anime eyes would be, I'd have to do some research on that one. Although, an alternate art style for X Story Player to use would not necessarily have to be anime to begin with. The style that Kikebrikex used for the offbeatr page is most likely style that people would expect to be used of the team moved away from photo-realism. It removes the possibility of making an uncanny valley model while moving away from the anime proportions that can shy away new-comers.

Now ultimately, X Moon is going to do what they are going to do. But I would like to point out though that eventually, modders are going to start making custom models for that game that won't necessarily be in a photo realistic art-style. And if that mod doesn't match the rest of the game's art style? Chances are you most likely won't care because you get to bang Sailor Mercury with XSP's physics engine.

So don't worry, who ever you want to be in X Story Player will eventually be in there. And since I have been editing this post for 3 days now, I going to say "to hell with it" and publish it as it currently is. I don't care how off topic it got, I'm tired of thinking about this.

HOW TO START MODDING

Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:19 pm
Rank 12
Rank 12

I disagree completly. XStoryPlayer should be as realistic as possible mechanics and graphics wise !

Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:51 am
Rank 17
Rank 17

xebat wrote:
I disagree completly. XStoryPlayer should be as realistic as possible mechanics and graphics wise !

I'm only talking about the graphics, not the mechanics. And even then, I'm only speculating what could be done in the future.

HOW TO START MODDING

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:41 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

@Pickled Cow
I fully understand your reasoning. Especially in erotic games where the focus on the characters is more important the uncanny valley element creeps in more easily.

I personally think that the models we currently use do not have a high uncanny factor. But like I said thats my personal opinion and others probably differ.

The visuals currently do not aim at full realism, but more towards realistic cartoons. Similair to the approach that is taken e.g. the Gf4e videos and other 3d art.

Anime/hentai is a great art style but it is not an approach we will take. Of course modders will be fully free to take this approach if they want to in the future. Important reason for this is that this art style is already plenty available.

Performance of systems is something we of course take into consideration but not to the extend that we change the game style for.

Its great to see this post because it does contain a lot of elements we considered. So its good for our users to have insight in this thought process.

Thanks PC :)

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:06 am
Rank 2
Rank 2

I agree the current models aren't uncanny - except for the over-large mouths and that really frightening thing they do if you wrap the chain too tight around their boobs. I mean one moment you're giving the girl a good shellacking and the next you're wondering where to go in the cityscape to find the ER ...

Mercifully the game usually crashes when that happens. ;-)

Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:06 pm
Rank 14
Rank 14

I agree with Cow's general points that using a more stylistic art theme over photo realism does avoid a lot of the uncanny valley syndrome. kikebrikex's style is pretty awesome, for sure.

I do think the art direction of the game is fine for what it is right now. I'd really love to see it in action once all the other animations are in, such as girls reacting to the action, or reacting to their pleasure, more physically than they do now.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:08 pm
Rank 14
Rank 14

I've not felt an issue with the style of the characters. If anything, I think the lighting of the environments creates more of a disconnect then the character models personally.
Perhaps something softer with more variations could help. But that could just be me and probably a separate discussion.

There will be many different styles used in mods that will work and serve other tastes if done well.
I'm not sure where I'm going with this other then, I like what we have now but I'm certainly open to as much content as possible.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:10 pm
Rank 17
Rank 17

I think we need to see more of the current build before discussing the game's lighting. Anything we say about it could be drastically out of date.

That reminds me, has X Moon looked in making any more videos for Naughty Machinima? I think a compilation video of all the advancements you've made to XSP so far is in order. I would especially like to see this in full motion. In fact, you should end the video with that, just for WTF Factor.

HOW TO START MODDING

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:50 pm
Rank 14
Rank 14

I think the perfect artstyle is a combination of Anime and Realism, kind of like Sexy Beach Zero where you get a really cute Anime face but also a very realistic female anatomy. I think XSP is on the right path, the characters look very real body-wise, the facial features is what needs to be improved the most. Also some variety in the physical attributes would help. I enjoy the unique look of this game, but it is true that adding Anime elements would indeed make this game more popular in the community.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:55 pm
Rank 17
Rank 17

These videos have been in my Youtube favorites for a while now. I think I should discuss them a bit as they are two different styles of CG anime.

This first video I like to call "inky style CG anime".
✪ 【Luka・Miku・Gumi・IA・Rin】威風堂々「Pomp and Circumstance」 English Subtitle PV
I call this inky style because it looks it all restricted to the confines of traditional animation, where the lighting is completely flat to save money. The models also look like made around that restriction, and putting them to in a dynamic lighting environment might not make them look better.

This second video I like to call "photo style CG anime"
【東方MMD】勇儀姐さんと藍様でKiss me 愛してる
I call this photo style because it looks subject to the rule of photography, with lighting being a crucial to how the photoshoot/video looks. Despite the fact that models in the video are fictional women based off mythological creatures, I find myself concerned for their well being. Because good god, standing on that platform alone would be terrifying, and they are dancing on it. Could you imagine dancing on something like that?

HOW TO START MODDING

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next