View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Opninions on speed of development and vaporware speculation 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This topic has been created for people who like to discuss development speed and to speculate on vaporware.

We are working hard on new version. Building a game engine from scratch is a lot of work.
It is true that development is going slower than we would have liked. However we are making progress.
Other games use existing engines, which is also a good choice. Feel free to play these games. :)

What makes XStoryPlayer unique is the fact that we created our own engine.
This sets XSP apart from other games, but also makes developing new versions a lot harder.

We hope the next version will be of same graphics quality as e.g. Unreal games.
While we could of course use the Unreal engine as many others do, we choose not to for above stated reason.

So please bear in mind that what we are trying to do is a lot different from building a game in an existing engine.
Of course we could fail, but it will not be for lack of trying.
As soon as we can make some good screenshots of the character creator they will be posted on the forum.

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:35 am
Rank 3
Rank 3

I know no other games with real physical body interaction

Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:03 am
Rank 12
Rank 12

zu neutron wrote:
I know no other games with real physical body interaction

These two :

- https://www.patreon.com/AdultVRGames

- http://daminz.blog.fc2.com/

Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:58 pm
Rank 12
Rank 12

To be honest, you should have gone with Unity or Unreal. They offer so many more plug-ins which would make the development much faster and easier.
You could concentrate on the things that sets XStory Player apart from other games.
Also things like VR support would be already possible right from the get go with Unity and Unreal.
I guarantee you there is no thing you can't do with the newest versions of Unreal and Unity that you can do with your own engine.

In my humble opinion you made a huge mistake going for your own engine again.

Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:01 pm
Rank 4
Rank 4

I think you all have done a great job! I support you on the quest of building your own engine. I like independent thinking so go for it. Win or lose at least you tried, that's what counts. However, screenshots are nice but just posting a summary of what your working on would be great. For instance take a look at yiffalcious link below.

https://trello.com/b/9wLqxJsx/yiffalicious-roadmap

Basically, they are tracking their progress. IT project management 101. In the end it is just a courtesy to your customers. Again, you guys are have done a phenomenal job and I can't wait to see version 4.

Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:06 pm
Rank 7
Rank 7

xebat wrote:
To be honest, you should have gone with Unity or Unreal. They offer so many more plug-ins which would make the development much faster and easier.
You could concentrate on the things that sets XStory Player apart from other games.
Also things like VR support would be already possible right from the get go with Unity and Unreal.
I guarantee you there is no thing you can't do with the newest versions of Unreal and Unity that you can do with your own engine.

In my humble opinion you made a huge mistake going for your own engine again.

This is ridiculous, the reason why i enjoy XStoryPlayer as a lot which I would imagine would also say, is because it gives much more freedom of gameplay than standardised multi-use, "fire and forget" engines. It is the engine itself that is important, although I would much rather see more updates, even what did the admin have for breakfast to keep the damn hype on. Updates like "We made a new model for nails today and then ordered hookers and blow"

Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:31 pm
Rank 1
Rank 1

thanks for these amazing infos. we promise to wait patiently if you devs promise to keep us updated once a month.
cheers°

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:50 pm
Rank 10
Rank 10

Thanny wrote:
JoeStIdes wrote:
didact wrote:
they don't have a community manager, their game is hard to mod and hard to purchase compared to other games.

even the community game that offshoot is easier to mod.

What community game?

Best guess at this point is that he's referring to House Party. Not sure that qualifies as a community game, but it's certainly this community where I first heard about it.

He pops on here and talks about a community game or some mod made by members of XSP community that is better than XSP or is developing faster than XSP, yet I don't recall him ever linking it. I've searched Didact's posts and no link to this "community game."

So where is it, Didact? Links please.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:23 am
Rank 4
Rank 4

I appreciate the effort in creating and updating the game.

However i'd like to ask some questions.

Could you put a percentage of completion on the game at this point?

You made mention of not being able to work on the game much in your / your teams daily lives. Is this due to work? If so, have you considered a Patreon page, so we can support you, rather than you having to work?

Tough part with patreon is, they're gonna expect more frequent updates.

I hope something from this post helps. In the end, i just want to play a great game, and have been impressed by what has come out so far.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:35 am
Rank 10
Rank 10

Comfortblynumb2 wrote:
I appreciate the effort in creating and updating the game.

However i'd like to ask some questions.

Could you put a percentage of completion on the game at this point?

You made mention of not being able to work on the game much in your / your teams daily lives. Is this due to work? If so, have you considered a Patreon page, so we can support you, rather than you having to work?

Tough part with patreon is, they're gonna expect more frequent updates.

I hope something from this post helps. In the end, i just want to play a great game, and have been impressed by what has come out so far.

There has been a couple of answers to that... one of them from here

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4719&p=20980#p20980

xpadmin Dec 19, 2016 wrote:
A few responses regarding the latest comments on this thread.

I also wish we would have been able to grow into a larger company.
This in order to meet with the higher demands and expectations of our users.
But regrettably no backing by a large studio, venture capitalists or anything else that would make this possible.
N.b. Anyone who is or knows a VC wanting to expand his portfolio to include erotic gaming, feel free to contact us :) .

As it currently stands, I am working full time on this project and my friends in part time.
The sales of XStoryPlayer are enough for an average salary and paying the bills (feel free to derive the sales from this ;) ).
N.b.: I am not saying this to generate any sympathy, it is simply how things are.

Because developing software is a slow process, Patreon is not used by us.
We think it is fair that people pay for something that is a finished product. A "what you see is what you get" kind of approach.
Also it allows us to take the time we feel is needed for development without the outside pressure.

Even though some of the comments regarding XStoryPlayer can be considered somewhat negative (especially regarding the speed of development),
I also see them as a compliment because it means that people take XStoryPlayer very much to heart.
The new version 4.0 will regrettably not be around for some time, so I have to disappoint people anticipating anything soon.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next