View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:39 am



Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 When is version 4.0 coming out? We need Answers! 
Author Message
Rank 2
Rank 2

Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:12 am
Posts: 3
Thanx for the news Eskarn !


Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:59 am
Profile
Rank 4
Rank 4
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:59 am
Posts: 14
Eskarn wrote:
And yet XPA still reply's to me whenever i message them, i know that they are still working on it and making progress.


'd be great. :)

Feared hes not able to work on it anymore (well... as in dead) :oops: :shock:


Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:02 pm
Profile
Rank 6
Rank 6
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:57 am
Posts: 25
Eskarn's message is enough for me to hold out hope. but I wonder....

would it be possible (if you are willing @Eskarn) to see if you can be the "go between" for the project? Maybe create a different forum topic, "V4.0 Updates"? Let us know at the very least that progress is being made on things. If you can give more details on progress, how far from the total goal and such (no deadlines, release dates, expectations, or any other kind of committal messages) that would be great for obvious reasons, but even without that it would help.

At the very least you can ask (but only if you are ok with it, it would kind of put you in a bit of an elevated role here on the forums and cast a spotlight on you and your messages. some like that concept, some dont). I would offer to do so, but I am a newer member and you seem to have some kind of rapport with him. You have a much better chance. :P


Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:26 pm
Profile
Rank 17
Rank 17
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:06 pm
Posts: 673
Location: Australia
I will say that as of last month they are all good and still working on it, i cant go into specifics because i said i would keep the messages private.

I know that version 4 or whatever the number ends up being is not a small project its rebuilding all the systems that needed attention
and when you improve some systems you break all the other ones that interact with them so they need fixing/improving.
same thing happens to the game im making, i improved one system then broke 5 that interacted with it and then when fixing each of them i broke all the ones that interacted with them.
My project was very VERY simple in comparison but still took a good 3-6 months to fix everything.

i know that they have done a lot of work on the base engine like the pretty lighting they released screenshots of and I'm wishing they did a 3.6 so i could play with the pretty lighting already.
SERIOUSLY I WANNA PLAY WITH THE PRETTY LIGHTING :cry:

There's also a lot of improvements to the performance and how the engine handles things.

With all that being said i have no idea on how far along they are because i don't know the scope of the project.
I don't know what the end product will feature.
i have no idea what things are finished or being currently worked on except for the few things XPA tells me every now and then.

I'm still confident enough that i'm working on 2 mods.
First one is the full redesign of Doc story because i'm not happy with how it turned out and i rushed it.

Second is a massive project that will be announced when its finished... so i don't rush it.
but
Largest house scene i have done
Saiko only (Lets me focus on making her story really good)
Multiple starting scenarios
A whole bunch of intractable items including a light switch for every room
Showers
Sneaking, Hiding, story and environment manipulation
All new animations
Implementing the Real Time Reaction System that will be made for Doc Story(keep an eye on Doc Story for more information on that)
Image

_________________
To install a mod

ESKARN'S TUTORIALS

Eskarn's Dungeon Mod(BETA)

Eskarn's puzzle map (story)


Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:01 am
Profile
Rank 6
Rank 6
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:57 am
Posts: 25
Very cool. thanks for the info ;)

Glad that one story is for saiko and not Moinca. Saiko is my favorite (Sorry Monica!)
I am excited for both. I played the Doc story for 3.5 (I came after all the fixes so I didnt see the bugs), but it was really good.

Also... LOL at the "Pretty Lighting" Comment


Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:19 pm
Profile
Rank 13
Rank 13

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:58 pm
Posts: 112
then I guess you're his spokesperson, Eskarn. a monthly update that he's still communicating and working will be sufficient, I think. or have him set up a youtube or twitch channel broadcasting his 'office hours'.


Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:56 am
Profile
Rank 2
Rank 2

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:03 pm
Posts: 3
I think it's amazing that you Eskar still keeps your hopes up.
It's truly unbelivable how a game devoloper decides to pause his own game to rebuild everything. Alot of people were hyped and after 8 months he posted information about the new version and people praised it, even if some were upset that it took so long to get some information.
However, the last text in xpadmins post were "I will however update on the state of the development more frequently."
And now it has almost been 4 years since he wrote anything about the next version.
And there has been nothing added to 3.5.
You say that you have talked to him about it, but im sure that you haven't seen any proof of progess either.
Im even suprised that this site is still up and running, but i guess that money is fun.


Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:28 pm
Profile
Rank 17
Rank 17
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:06 pm
Posts: 673
Location: Australia
Lectodanf wrote:
It's truly unbelivable how a game devoloper decides to pause his own game to rebuild everything.

Version 3.5 is a finished game, the stories complete and there are no major bugs.

After they finished 3.5 they took that knowledge about what they did right and wrong and set off to make their engine better.
Now this means tearing it apart because you cant improve one system without breaking everything that even looks at it.

Let's take my game for example, i have grid based world and i was STUPID and made the entire map one entity.
This means that if i needed to change a single tile it would have to iterate through thousands of grids to find the correct one to move.
Guess what.... It crashed a lot, i decided to fix that issue by make it a chunk based system.
It worked really well and performance was better but the entire game did not work.
Room generation did not work.
Object placement did not work.
Most of the UI's that referenced anything to do with the level did not work.
My main Lair Handler that keeps values for everything did not work.

Took awhile to fix everything and it was worth it but this is a simple blueprint inside of UE4.
Can you imagine how much would break inside a game engine if you were to improve a single system, and from what i gather they are improving everything.

This is going to take time and a lot of it and XPA does not like to get anyone's hopes up or post on unfinished systems so waiting is gonna be a thing.
If they did just grab the money and run... ah well 3.5 is a standalone game so you got what you paid for, i believe thats how a business works.
It would be like demanding Bethesda give you Fallout 4 because you bought Fallout 3 since its on the same engine. (unless you're one of the kickstarter backers that did the we get all package)

_________________
To install a mod

ESKARN'S TUTORIALS

Eskarn's Dungeon Mod(BETA)

Eskarn's puzzle map (story)


Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:44 am
Profile
Rank 5
Rank 5
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 5:18 pm
Posts: 15
Location: On my couch
Eskarn wrote:
It would be like demanding Bethesda give you Fallout 4


Except that Bethesda didn't even give us a fully functional game and required the help of modders to fix their game, well, all of their games actually.. :lol:

_________________
Everyone: "Saiko suck my dick"

Saiko: "I hate you"

(ཀ ʖ̯ ཀ)


Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:20 am
Profile
Rank 1
Rank 1

Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:59 pm
Posts: 1
Eskarn wrote:
Lectodanf wrote:
It's truly unbelivable how a game devoloper decides to pause his own game to rebuild everything.

Version 3.5 is a finished game, the stories complete and there are no major bugs.

After they finished 3.5 they took that knowledge about what they did right and wrong and set off to make their engine better.
Now this means tearing it apart because you cant improve one system without breaking everything that even looks at it.

Let's take my game for example, i have grid based world and i was STUPID and made the entire map one entity.
This means that if i needed to change a single tile it would have to iterate through thousands of grids to find the correct one to move.
Guess what.... It crashed a lot, i decided to fix that issue by make it a chunk based system.
It worked really well and performance was better but the entire game did not work.
Room generation did not work.
Object placement did not work.
Most of the UI's that referenced anything to do with the level did not work.
My main Lair Handler that keeps values for everything did not work.

Took awhile to fix everything and it was worth it but this is a simple blueprint inside of UE4.
Can you imagine how much would break inside a game engine if you were to improve a single system, and from what i gather they are improving everything.

This is going to take time and a lot of it and XPA does not like to get anyone's hopes up or post on unfinished systems so waiting is gonna be a thing.
If they did just grab the money and run... ah well 3.5 is a standalone game so you got what you paid for, i believe thats how a business works.
It would be like demanding Bethesda give you Fallout 4 because you bought Fallout 3 since its on the same engine. (unless you're one of the kickstarter backers that did the we get all package)


Eskarn, i think you've misunderstood what he was getting at. I think what he means is that there has been no update by the dev himself at all, not game-wise but news-wise. It doesnt take that long to write hey i'm still alive and am working on it, or here is what i've done so far, okthxbai. It'd literally take him a minute, 10 mins if he details what he has been doing until now, but there has been nothing from him for a long long time now. Everyone knows that recoding takes a while, but writing a news post every once in a while is effortless, and people would at least know that the project is still on track.


Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:05 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group.
Designed by X-Moon Productions.